HELP needed to move windows 7 to a new hard drive using Backup and Restore (PLEASE)

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KrishnaM
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?
HELP needed to move windows 7 to a new hard drive using Backup and Restore (PLEASE)
Nov 22, 2012

I want to install a new hard drive as I started to get 'impending hard drive failure' on my Dell XPS 15 L502X laptop. I made a system image on a external usb hard drive and DELL recovery disc using windows 7, replaced the hard drive and tried to boot from the recovery disc, but I got an error message '0x4001100200001012'. Then I used the DELL windows 7 reinstallation disc to boot, connected the usb drive when prompted for recovering from image created , a window that says "Scanning for system image disks" with a loading bar opened but immediately closed and another window popped up saying "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer. Attach a backup hard drive and click retry." When retry is clicked the same thing happens. The hard drive is USB 2.0, and NTFS formatted. The ports on the Dell laptop are USB 3.0 though. What could be going wrong here?

Thanks

Krishna

Nikon Coolpix L5 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow