BIF- Cropping EF 100-400 L IS vs Tamron 70-300 SP VC Photos ?

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,651Gear list
Like?
Re: BIF- Cropping EF 100-400 L IS vs Tamron 70-300 SP VC Photos ?
In reply to Glenn_Sydney, Nov 22, 2012

Glenn_Sydney wrote:

I am now considering buying the Canon EF 100-400 L after all, but only if the quality of the photos is that much better that it will allow the photos to stand up much better to heavy cropping, when I have to do so and result in much better quality images.

The more recent copies of the 100-400 have consistently been much better than the older lenses.  I don't own one but have shot with a number of them, and have a couple of good shooting buddies who have copies bought in the last couple of years that are absolutely stellar (as sharp in the center as my 400 f5.6L, and almost as sharp as my 300 f4L IS).

Note: As has been suggested, you might consider the 400 prime since you already have a zoom that gets out to 300mm.  IMHO they'd pair up well.  The 400 (as mentioned) is a faster and more decisive focuser than the 100-400, is Extremely sharp wide open, has very slightly better color and contrast, better bokeh, and is more flare resistant (including veiling glare) in my experience.  A truly wonderful BIF lens with marvelous handling.  Samples can be found in my galleries...

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/the_birds

However if you do want the greater versatility of a zoom, the closer min focusing distance, and the addition of image stabilization, then I'd still definitely recommend the 100-400.  It's one of the funnest lenses I've ever shot with.  Just make sure you get a really sharp copy (wide open).

Best of luck!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow