Why can't Dinosaurs have Co-Existed with Humans?

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
aus4ever
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,290Gear list
Like?
Re: Einstein and The Creator
In reply to Great Bustard, Nov 22, 2012

Great Bustard wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

What's up with that need of yours to debunk myths with facts that will do nothing, whatsoever, to deter "the faithful"?

bobn2 wrote:

But the scientist is possessed by the sense of universal causation. The future, to him, is every whit as necessary and determined as the past. There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair. His religious feeling takes the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection. This feeling is the guiding principle of his life and work, in so far as he succeeds in keeping himself from the shackles of selfish desire. It is beyond question closely akin to that which has possessed the religious geniuses of all ages.

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/einstein_religion.html

What he's not talking about there is seven days, one big beardy bloke and an apple.

-- hide signature --

Bob

But Einstein does talk about a "superior intelligence"....if that's not a "guiding hand", it's awfully close.

Einstein's spiritual beliefs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Albert_Einstein

appear to be very similar, if not the same as, Deism (also shared by the Founding Fathers of the US). That is, if I understand correctly, Einstein believed in an intelligence behind the creation of the universe (a Creator, if you will), but did not have any active role in it once set in motion.

I think when you look at what he wrote about it, he was dismissive to the point of rudeness about anthropomorphising this 'intelligence', he repeatedly says that any attempt by humans to comprehend it is futile.

For sure. But, while Einstein rejected the anthropomorphization of a Creator (and thus all of the established religions), he did appear to believe that there was some sort of intelligence behind the design of the Universe.

In addition, I believe he was none too fond of atheism, believing it to be every bit as arrogant as theism. I don't say this lightly, of course, 'cause I'm an atheist, and whatever intelligence I have pales in comparison to Einstein's.

However, I will demonstrate a bit of that arrogance now by saying that just because it appears that the Universe can be described in a mathematical manner, that doesn't necessarily imply a Creator. Indeed, it is my opinion that Existence can never be fully described mathematically -- physics is merely a map of reality, which is not to be confused with reality itself. That is, physicists keep on making better and better maps that are more and more useful, but they are still just maps.

That said, no, of course I cannot prove that there is no Creator. My atheism is not so much that there is no Creator, but that any such thing, if it did exist, it would be the height of arrogance to claim to understand what the Creator "thought", so no real point in thinking about it, except inasmuch as I think about "what if" scenarios like "The Matrix".

That brings back the scientist, something for him/her to explore until the truth is found, and not the creationist using imagination that is not supported by evidence.  This article might be of interest.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theodore_drange/creationism.html

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.

aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow