Why do I enjoy my X-E1 so much? Here is one reason...

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
awelch100
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: The X-E1 is a brick
In reply to dspoel, Nov 21, 2012

dspoel wrote:

Another 5D2 user here looking for something smaller. The X-E1 is cool and people are raving about the 35/1.4. However I consider it too big still... The X-E1 is the same size as a M9 which is full frame. So an APS-C should be possible to make a lot smaller. For instance, the Leica X1 is much smaller than the Fuji X100. Why? People bitch about Leica being expensive - they are. But apparently they do have better engineers.

To make my point, I would love to have a X100-sized exchangable lens camera. The X-E1 does not fit in my pocket, which is where I want it when I have the 400 mm on my Canon. Maybe I should just get an X100 ... There is no good 22 mm lens for the X-E1 anyway, but I'm afraid I will regret getting the X100 when a good 22/1.4 is produced.

-- hide signature --

David.

1) The X-E1 is not the same size as a Leica M9, it's about 30% smaller, almost exactly the same size as the X100. The X-Pro1 is about the size of the M9.

2) Of course the X1 is smaller than the X100, it has a slower lens and no hybrid optical viewfinder. In fact, it doesn't have a viewfinder at all!

Camera size usually doesn't, and shouldn't, scale proportionally with sensor size. If that was the case, most point and shoot cameras would be two inches wide! There has to be a compromise between size and functionality. Sure, you could make a smaller APS-C camera, but there would be sacrifices. Most of the cameras in the Sony NEX series are smaller than the X-E1, but they lack the manual control and lens/body balance that the Fuji has. Also, while you can make the body somewhat smaller, you simply can't do that with lenses. If you want a fast, autofocus lens that will cover an APS-C sensor, then there will be compromises in size and weight. Cameras such as the X100 and Sony RX1 manage this by integrating the lens deep into the camera. This simply wouldn't be possible to do in an interchangeable lens system.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-E1 w/ 35mm f/1.4 and 18mm f/2.0www
Canon 5D MkII w/ 24-70 f/2.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Canon 85 f/1.8, etc, etc...
www.apwimages.com

awelch100's gear list:awelch100's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow