Small project studio assistance.

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jalmod90
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: Small project studio assistance.
In reply to Sailor Blue, Nov 21, 2012

Sailor Blue wrote:

If you are shooting portraits you do not want any kind of TTL. Manual camera exposure and manual flash power settings are what will give you constant exposures. The only time to use TTL is if the subject to light distance is constantly changing.

If you are interested in HSS then the Canon 580EX II or the Nissin Di866 II are my recommendations. Both are professional quality and very rugged, and HSS is hard on any flash.

Speedlights.net | Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash Review

Speedlights.net | Nissin Di866 II (Mark 2) | Speedlights.net

For a light modifier start simple. I recommend a Photek SoftLighter II. The 46" is good for waist up portraits but you might want the 60" one for group shots. One of each would give you the big one for a main light with your current 580EX II and you could use a low cost manual power flash in the smaller SoftLighter for a fill light.

Photek SOFTLIGHTER II

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo Speedlite YN 460-II Flash Review (Manual Flash)

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II Manual Flash (new upgraded ‘mark II’ version)

Product Review: Neewer TT520 Speedlite Flash - Sam Rosenthal Photography | Blog:

For portability I recommend theLumoPro LP605 collapsible light stands.

LumoPro LP605 7 Foot Compact Light Stand: Amazon.com

There are lots of cheap ebay background kits that use fabric. They are okay for occasional use, just try to get one with a telescoping crossbar. The "universal" background is a mottled gray one but white and black are also useful. Forget about green screen backgrounds - it is just as easy to extract subjects from a gray or white background and you don't get green showing through hair or translucent clothing with those colors.

Color can be added to all three colors of backgrounds by using colored gels on more speedlites. The white background will give you pastels, gray middle range colors, and black the deepest and most saturated colors.

8807 Roscolux Swatch Book, Small Sampler of Almost Every Filter - Size: 1.75 x 2.75 (approximate

Lots of equipment bags are available on ebay but you really can't tell their quality until you get them. Look for things like folding lawn chair bags for carrying stands at Walmart or check for a golf club bag at the local Salvation Army store.

Get the Yongnuo RF-603s for triggering. You don't need remote TTL and the RF-603s are much more reliable than optical triggering.

-- hide signature --

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers

Oh man this is great! Thank you for the tips and suggestions. I appreciate you going out of the way to send me links and describing the usages. One final question though. Am I able to utilize my 60D's menu to make adjustments to the flash units (depending on which I get) using YN RF-603?

-- hide signature --

"In the Internet age, the bathroom is now the photography studio.In the film age, the bathroom was the developing lab.
And before the film age, I guess it was just the outhouse." - Anonymous

Jalmod90's gear list:Jalmod90's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow