Considered moving back from the 15-85mm to the 18-55mm kit lens

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ralph46
Senior MemberPosts: 1,168Gear list
Like?
Re: Considered moving back from the 15-85mm to the 18-55mm kit lens
In reply to Ralph46, Nov 21, 2012

Thanks to all who have contributed so far. I wasn't surprised to hear that even experienced photographers praise the 18-55mm IS kit lens. The resolution of this almost "giveaway" lens is very good and the value is amazing. Curiously, the much criticised build and materials of the 18-55mm kit lens do not bother me. I find manual focussing via the narrow front ring no problem if you turn AF off.

I would have loved to have this as a smaller and lighter alternative to my 15-85mm, but it is just not up to equal flair resistence when used against the light, and that is how many of my best photos were taken. The available lens hood (it must be round because the front element rotates) is almost useless against this.

The Photozone revue does mention this contra light problem. So I am surprised that both lenses compared here scored the same 3.5 stars for optical quality. I believe that this evaluation is given independant of the price, so I don't really understand it.

-- hide signature --

Ralph46's gear list:Ralph46's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow