HX20 or RX100 - Do I need more camera IQ?

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RayUK
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
HX20 or RX100 - Do I need more camera IQ?
Nov 21, 2012

Heading to my mid-70's, I've ditched all my ILC's - in particular a Panasonic GH2 with the stellar Olympus 45f1.8 - and am currently relying on my Sony HX20. I no longer print anything, but view everything on my 16:9 HDTV, so I now only ever shoot 16:9 landscape mode - even for portraits. I don't like portrait-mode shots displayed on a 16:9 screen.

I create slideshows, always using some simple panning and zooming (Ken Burns effects). Along with Dutchpepper and others I'm always telling people to pixel-peep before taking a photo - ie to use the HX20's amazing zoom - but I have to say the picture quality quickly falls apart if too much zooming is used in the slideshow.

Now, I have £450-worth of vouchers to spend at Jessops, and I am beginning to wilt under the incessant RX100 traffic on this site. Given the scenario I outlined above - would the RX100 give me any increase in quality on my 1920x1280 TV screen?

OTOH I really miss the articulated screen and viewfinder on my otherwise too heavy GH2. If only the RX100 had these 2 elements my decision would be easy. However, for the same price as the RX100 I can buy the lightweight Panasonic G3 (but not including my favourite lens) which does have both items - but won't fit in a trouser pocket. Damn!

A photographer's life is never easy.

Any help welcomed.

Ray

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow