ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stiliketheblues
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
How to upgrade my lighting situation?
Nov 21, 2012

Hi folks,

I currently own a Canon 7D and a 20D. Both get used.

Since I live in cold, wintery and dark for 6 months - Upstate NY, I do a fair amount of shooting indoors and end up needing to supplement lighting. I currently own a Speedlite 430EX, which has worked well for the last 6 years and can work as a wireless slave off the 7D.

I have acquired some good primes (35/1.4, 85/1.8) which will work in low light pretty well with the ISO bumped up on the 7D but not so well on the 20D. Other like the Sigma walkaround (24-70/2.8) and the Canon tele (70-200/4L,no IS) and the 50/1.8 are more of a challenge.

I can get the 17-55 EFS IS lens to solve the problem somewhat.

But since I am shooting a lot of baby pics of our newborn and our 3 yr old who loves to pose for pics and has lately been learning to take pics on the 20D, I would like to pad the lighting situation. A simple fix seems to be the Speedlite 600 and use the 2 speedlite in conjunction.

For a lot of infant pics, from reading here and previous experience flashes are not the best solution though. So for the time being can folks here suggest other solutions. I have wanted to setup a little studio corner in the basement. I am wondering if there are any good sturdy solutions involving lightboxes/softboxes/flashpoints that would work for me without being a fire hazard? I know very little about these products and looking on Adorama was mind boggling.

Please advise.

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow