Wanting to like the 12-50 on the E-M5...... but falling short.

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kevdog
Kevdog Senior Member • Posts: 1,408
Wanting to like the 12-50 on the E-M5...... but falling short.

The focal length range is nice.  The macro function is nice to have.  The weather sealing is good....   but....

It just isn't as good as my old Pany 14-45.  My wife still has it mounted on her E-PM1.  We were shooting around Sedona and I made a point to stand next to her and take the same picture a few times.  Hers always looked better.  Better colors and contrast, plus better sharpness.

The pictures are at home, but I'll try and upload a few examples tonight.

I'm going to have to actually do a direct comparison sometime.

When is Oly comping out with a decent 12-50/12-60?  Where are the awesome zooms from 4/3 land?  Why are Oly zooms falling short?  Their primes seem spot on but the zooms are just not.   The Oly HG and SHG glass are what brought many people to 4/3 land.  Why are the m4/3 zooms not even close?

Now trying to figure out if I buy another 14-45 and ditch my 12-50 (which would have been the same price).  I do like the 12 end though.  I don't think I can afford the 12-35 at this time.  Even with $300 from the 12-50, I'd still be $1000 short.

It's frustrating!

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow