Wanting to like the 12-50 on the E-M5...... but falling short.

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kevdog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352Gear list
Like?
Wanting to like the 12-50 on the E-M5...... but falling short.
Nov 20, 2012

The focal length range is nice.  The macro function is nice to have.  The weather sealing is good....   but....

It just isn't as good as my old Pany 14-45.  My wife still has it mounted on her E-PM1.  We were shooting around Sedona and I made a point to stand next to her and take the same picture a few times.  Hers always looked better.  Better colors and contrast, plus better sharpness.

The pictures are at home, but I'll try and upload a few examples tonight.

I'm going to have to actually do a direct comparison sometime.

When is Oly comping out with a decent 12-50/12-60?  Where are the awesome zooms from 4/3 land?  Why are Oly zooms falling short?  Their primes seem spot on but the zooms are just not.   The Oly HG and SHG glass are what brought many people to 4/3 land.  Why are the m4/3 zooms not even close?

Now trying to figure out if I buy another 14-45 and ditch my 12-50 (which would have been the same price).  I do like the 12 end though.  I don't think I can afford the 12-35 at this time.  Even with $300 from the 12-50, I'd still be $1000 short.

It's frustrating!

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow