PC-E 24 on D800E vs TS-E 24 II / 17 on 5D II (or III)

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
mattr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,443
Like?
Re: PC-E 24 on D800E vs TS-E 24 II / 17 on 5D II (or III)
In reply to joger, Nov 20, 2012

joger wrote:

mattr wrote:

Thanks for the interesting test. I was always wondering why there are so few people commenting on the Nikon PC-E 24 on a D800. Now I know: it is just not very good....

Did you check whether field curvature contributes to the very soft results of the Nikon in the extended image circle? In other words: can you get a sharp image at the edge when refocusing? My Canon TS-E 24 II has certainly some field curvature that leads to blurring of infinity objects at the edges of the extended image, even at f/8.

I know the field curvature of the TS-E 24 II and that's the reason why I focus the TS-E 24 II at the corner of the frame - in fact a cropped TS-E17 is better then that - a good reason to buy a 17 instad of the 24 IMHO

So, maybe you should do the same with the Nikon?

Are you saying the cropped 17 is better than the 24??

BTW, I'm not convinced that your four image diagonal sticth is the best way to do this. You don't gain much compared to a three image portrait orientation stitch (producing 36x48 format with the 5D2). Importantly, if shift is in only one dimension you can countershift the camera easily with an L-bracket to avoid parallax. In my experience this is absolutely necessary if you have any close foreground in the image.

well it's 57 mm vs 48 mm thus 1/5th more pixels and it's faster then counter shifting the camera or using a mechanical adapter - I had only problems when using the 90mm tilt and shift - with the TS-E 17 I 've never encountered any problems.

Well, if not necessary you don't have to countershift with any technique. If you never had parallax error with the 17, you apparently never have a foreground in your images.

IMO, shift lenses become less important as sensor resolution goes up. These 36 MP files from the D800 allow a lot of distortion correction while still producing excellent results. Also, stitching can be done with images from standard lenses because the high resolution reduces degradation from resampling. I got some fantastic results shooting my D800 with 85/1.8 handheld and stitching for a final image at about 50mm equivalent field of view.

well - even the 14-24 is not meeting my expectations vs the TS-E 17 to be honest. I did some checks with the D800E vs the tilted and shifted and cropped TS_E 17 and this is what happened (please view at 100 % with original size)

center of the frame

left part of the frame

right part of the frame

For eme the D800E produces with the Nikon lenses far less appealing results then I anticipated - I was thrilled by the idea of having more pixels but the Nikon lenses keep on disappointing me. I am very interested in a high megapixel Canon though to test this setup with my lenses - the Nikon lenses suffer from severe corner problems and even the highly praised 70-200 f/2.8 VR is worse then then the 70-200 f/2.0 L IS USM - looks like a systematic thing for me. I was ready to buy the D800E plus some nikon lenses - fortunately I invested the money in a 300 f/2.8 II

I don't have the 14-24 but I'm not surprised that a TS-E prime beats it. Obviously I agree that Canon has currently the better wide angle TS-E lineup. OTOH, Nikon has the better wide angle zoom in this range. Different tools for different jobs.

To balance your post, here a few examples of Nikon lenses I own and that have no equally good Canon counterpart: 28/1.8G, 50/1.8G, 60/2.8G, 85/1.8G. Oh, and corner performance of the 28/1.8 and 85/1.8 is amazingly good.

With regard to "appealing results": Which converter do you use to generate the images? For example Canon's DPP raw converter produces extremely crisp and in many scenes very appealing results from the 5D2 files. I later realized that some of the crunchiness is from artefacts that have nothing to do with real subject detail.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow