Rudest countries to visit

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
aus4ever
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,490Gear list
Like?
Re: Aus4ever
In reply to brettmeikle, Nov 20, 2012

brettmeikle wrote:

Kangding - that spelling might well be correct. We were heading for Lhasa, on a road that at the time was closed to foreigners. We ran out of local currency (we had FEC cheques) and had to turn back. Also the prospect of hiding in a lorry for at least a week was a bit scary - there are several military check points on that route.

You know Xizang (Tibet); it has always been a sensitive place.
Wow!  2087km ... that's a long way to travel by land from Chengdu to Lhasa.

Instead we hiked into Heilagou (?) National Park up to the glacier on Minya Konka. In the end we travelled to Lhasa the conventional way, via the Taklamakan desert and Golmud. It lives with me still. No 'tour guide' or translator for me - i agree with all your points though I'd add in a fair degree of social conditioning regarding foreigners under the long winter of Mao's isolation.

I think it is Hailuogou Glacier.  Mount Gongga (Minya Konka) is more than 7000m.  I won't survive that kind of altitude.  You are really adventurous.

There were enough good people to give me warm memories, especially in private restaurants, guest houses and from street hawkers.

BTW, I lived in Aus for 6 years, have a passport and may one day return to live - i miss it more than anywhere else.

It is a good thing that more people in Australia have embraced multiculturalism.  It was quite different when I first arrived 14 years ago.

Someday I'll visit Scotland.  From what I have read, it is a beautiful place.

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.

aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow