XF1 experience

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
nspur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: XF1 experience
In reply to Kokeen4231, Nov 20, 2012

I have had the X10 for over a year and like it so much that I bought another (refurbished by Fuji UK) as a backup. I use it also with a Panasonic 0.75x wide angle converter that turns into a 21-84 mm. But it is not pocketable and I too wondered whether to get a XF1 to carry around all the time. I did end up buying one because the XF1 fits in a shirt pocket or in its soft case on a belt and has the same guts as the X10. And the results are excellent; I use it mainly in 6 MP mode at auto ISO 3200 and aperture priority with Astia film mode and in-camera sharpening set higher. Just jpegs out of camera. 25-100 mm is a good range.

But there is a trade-off. The XF1 has a little distortion at widest angle and some fringing that can be overcome by stopping down. You quite rapidly go from f1.8 to f4 whereas the X10 is f2 to f2.8 and distortions are better controlled. Then the X10's new firmware provides the Q menu that's a real bonus and although one can assign functions to the XF1's six "soft buttons" it's not the same. No filters for the XF1, not even a built-in ND one, no lens hood and of course no viewfinder. It is of course a compact camera, but it handles well and gives the user a lot of control over the output, especially allowing two custom settings where some cameras in the same category do not allow this. I think if one wants a take-everywhere compact camera of quality this is the one to have. There are others with more features but fewer photographic attributes.

But whether to get one in addition to the X10 the answer has to be if you have a large enough pocket for the X10 then you don't need to.

-- hide signature --

Nick Spurrier

nspur's gear list:nspur's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-30 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow