M J Valentine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,242
Like?
Re: Canon 28mm f/2.8 IS
In reply to msowsun, Nov 20, 2012

msowsun wrote:

M J Valentine wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a Canon 28mm f/2.8 IS for use on my 650D. I would be grateful for any feedback on this new lens from owners. I have read the Photozone.de review which seems positive, but the lens is expensive for an f/2.8. The recently announced 35mm f/2 IS looks promising but is likely to be at least as expensive as the 28mm f/2.8 IS.

The new lens would supplement or replace my 15-85mm which has severe distortion between 15-24mm and now I regret selling my 24-105L.

Thanks,

Martyn

I think you would be wasting your money if you are just worried about distortion.

You may be confusing perspective distortion with barrel distortion. Any time you get close to your subject with any wide-angle lens(or any lens), you will get perspective distortion.

Yes, the 15-85 has some barrel distortion at 15mm but it mostly disappears as soon as you zoom to longer focal lengths. At 20mm it is almost non existent, and probably as good or even better than the 28mm 2.8 IS

Hi,

I noticed bad distortion when photographing a narrow street in Spain so this must be perspective distortion as you've described. I'm thinking of buying Adobe Lightroom 4 in the meantime to see if this can help and/or getting a new 24-105, especially if the 6D is worthwhile.

Thanks,

Martyn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow