Olympus 17 1.8 Review from Lenstip

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,315Gear list
Like?
Re: Different charts...
In reply to amalric, Nov 20, 2012

amalric wrote:

The 17/2.8 reaches 50 LPMM as it top performance against 66 LPM of the 17/1.8.

Do you really think one can detect the difference, unless one spends the evening getting blind in front of a computer screen?

Are you serious? Of course differences like that are noticeable ... it's called "bite" ...

I am pretty sure that HCB's Leica never reached 50 LPMM and yet he took impressive images. Composition is not sharpness.

Trite comments about entirely different factors still do not mitigate fairly big differences between two lenses.

BTW Lenstip's decency level is only 43 LPMM!

If you are only interested in a lens that is "decent" then you should just buy what you like and stop worrying about differences, no?

How times change. The same Lenstip was concluding about the 17/2.8:

• very small, but looking sturdy body,
  • excellent image quality at the center of the frame,
  • good image quality at the edge of the frame,
  • slight astigmatism,
  • quiet and accurate autofocus.

And yet according to the numberless connoisseurs of this forum the lens was pure crap.

That lens is noticeably less sharp than the ones that came later ... there is no surprise when people see differences that are clear.

Truth is that Lenstip has opinions like everybody else, and the downturn bites their wallet too, otherwise why would they enthuse about a 50 LPMM lens, and scrap a 66 LPMM one? Where is the consistency?

Do your opinions change based one what has changed since your last opinion? Or do you never change your opinion, despite evidence that you should?

Most would call the latter "obstinate", not "consistent"

ROTFL.

So is everyone reading what you are writing ...

Polish are known to be moody and rhapsodic, although Lenstip is one of my favourite sites.

Nothing like dismissive classification by culture to really nail down your creds

I am not going to buy the lens, because I do very well with the 17/2.8, and don't deem myself superior to HCB. So I have no axe to grind.

You just ground the living shti out of something ... if not an ax, then what?

Just plain sense, LOL

Yes, we're still laughing ... not at you, just near you

Based on the tests, I would buy the Panny 14 and 20 and give both Oly lenses a miss ... but YMMV because you are not above HCB.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
:-)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow