Another Olympus XZ-2 review

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,371Gear list
Like?
Re: Another Olympus XZ-2 review
In reply to skiphunt13, Nov 20, 2012

skiphunt13 wrote:

The price is what has kept me from buying either one of these at the moment. When I buy a new camera, I like to think it'll get me by a couple years before the next leapfrog in technology. The XZ-1 has done that for me and I'm looking for a reasonable upgrade. However, I don't think the current pricing of $600US for the XZ2 is reasonable. If Olympus had nailed it in the video department, and the XZ-2 could replace having to carry a palmcorder, etc. then I can almost justify it. But the lack of control of video just kills it for me at this price point.

I can almost justify the cost of the RX100 for the sensor, but only barely.

At the moment, I'm going to have to wait on the sidelines for price drops. It's not that I don't have the dough, it's more a matter of value. I simply don't think either one of these cameras offer enough for the premium pricing.

fully agree, I have no problem spending $600 or more on a compact, but it needs to be something I will use for a few years at least. All the current ones seem to have some limitation for me (image quality, size, features etc.). Just one design change and many of them would look a lot more interesting to me...

I'm wondering how long Olympus will stick to the official price (here in Europe the XZ-2 is just out for EUR 549, that's the same price as RX100 and equivalent to $ 700 ...).

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow