Let's talk 'Shutter Shock'...

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's talk 'Shutter Shock'...
In reply to daddyo, Nov 20, 2012

Greg, depending on the lens shutter-shock is most commonly seen between 1/60th and 1/160th sec, I have never experienced it at 1/25th (nor yet seen it reported at this level)

The evidence (of which there is now quite a bit of good quality data) suggests it is a result of the fact that the shutter completes 3 cycles of action, from open to closed (from the always open state) then open to close and back again to expose the sensor whilst taking the shot

I agree there may be an element of damping if the camera is held loosely whilst taking the shot in the "Danger Zone" but I have never been able to find a way around it apart from avoiding the shutter speed range in which I see it (not every shot, but enough to be a nuisance)

NB: as a retired R&D scientist I was sceptical until I carried out my own data analysis of my EM-5 images and compared it with the results of some of the prior reporters of this effect

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow