Moving to primes, should I sell the 16-35 or the 24-70?

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Moogles
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
Moving to primes, should I sell the 16-35 or the 24-70?
Nov 20, 2012

I've seen some incredible shots done on a 50L f/1.2 (think it was from dpreview, not sure) but when I tried it, I just can't frame very well with a 50mm. I was disappointed to find out that it's not for me because I've thought of the 24mm and 50mm prime path. When I ran through my collection of photos, I came to realize that I'm a 35mm kind of guy.

I am using a 5D2 together with a 16-35 f/2.8 L II and a 24-70 f/2.8 L. I am considering selling one of these lenses to get a prime or maybe even two (2) if there's enough funds. I am looking at the new 35mm f/2 IS USM and the 85mm f/1.8. Doesn't have to be an L.

The 16-35 f/2.8L II is used mainly for landscape and group shots, both of which dont happen often. The 24-70 f/2.8L is my walk around lens. I shoot anything and everything with it.

I am feeling the weight of the body + lens, so badly that I am considering changing to a different system like the Sony NEX mirrorless but someone suggested that I should try primes.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Will you give up your ultra wide angle and keep your walk about lens? Or will you sell your walk about lens and use the prime from here forth at 35mm? If it helps, I also have a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow