Visiting S-W USA next year : tips and recommendations?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,398
Like?
Re: Visiting S-W USA next year : tips and recommendations?
In reply to darg, Nov 20, 2012

You've got lots of great advice already especially on red rock country so I won't waste real estate repeating. Other thoughts -If you decide to go through Death Valley in spite of the July heat, the Mesquite Flat dunes are easy to access and are best at sunrise, and Badwater and Zabriskie Pt are short walks w great photo possibilities. You could pass through Valley of Fire State Park when you're headed out of Vegas.  When you're entering Yosemite from the east- Bodie ghost town near Lee Vining is a fun and photogenic stop. Tioga Road is beautiful/uncrowded that time of year - Tolumne Meadows at sunset is very special. But visit Yosemite Valley VERY early morning or else it's a madhouse. Near San Francisco - Muir Woods just across the Golden Gate is a good place to see the big trees without investing a lot of time hiking to them.Just a little bit further north is Point Reyes which I think is one of the most beautiful places on the continent. Yes, it is foggy in July but when the fog lifts just a bit and you're in a giant soft box - even the cows are gorgeous. I actually like to shoot in fog so it is a matter of taste and luck as to what you get on the coast highways. Pfieffer  & Julia Pfieffer Burns beaches in Big Sur area are very nice. There are several lovely old missions in the Monterey area.  You won't lack for photo ops anywhere.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow