Is DxO useful or even valid?

Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Is DxO useful or even valid?
In reply to Chris Noble, Nov 20, 2012

Choosing a camera based solely on where it's sensor ranks on DxOMark is not at all a good idea.  But to get a rough idea of what you can expect in term of IQ performance, DxOMark is extremely useful.

I own (or have owned) at lot of different cameras from my FF D800, a 5D II, many APS-C DSLRs and ILCs including the D7000, K-30, K20D, X-Pro1, X100, NX100, nearly all the m43 bodies except the EM-5,  Olympus 43,  Nikon J1, high end compacts like the X10, XZ-1, GRD III, and others.  

And as a RAW shooter and Lightroom user, I can say that DXOMark's three IQ parameter scores (Color Depth, DR, ISO) match up extremely with what I have experienced in day to day shooting with all of these cameras.

The most noticeable is high ISO ability where the FF DSLRs are a world apart from any of the other cameras, including one of the best crop sensor cameras for low-light, the X-Pro1.  And DR is the next easily noticeable IQ attribute, followed by color depth, where it's fairly easy to notice the rich colors from the Fuji cameras or FF DSLR as compared to some others.

So, yes, I use DxOMark all of the time.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow