First time doing a proper night photography with a tripod.

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,034Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens flare with 7-14mm lens
In reply to BigBarney, Nov 20, 2012

BigBarney wrote:

yotes wrote:

I did some night photography in London last night. It was my first time taking my tripod in the night. I find that it is very difficult to take photos without lens flare. The ones on my flickr site are the photos with the least lens flare but with the others, there are lens flares right, left and centre. I guess nothing can be done about this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yotesuk/sets/72157632051177867/

I used Panny 7-14mm and Voigtlander 25mm

I have only ever shot with the 7-14mm in daylight on a Panasonic GH2 and then there has never been any lens flare, although I have never shot facing into the sun. Most of the reports here of flare with this lens seem to appear when it is attached to an Olympus body, and you do not specify which m43 body you have used.

The built-in petal-shaped lens hood seems to do its job for me when the light source is to the side of the subject.

If you look at the lens again, you should see how side light can be captured by the front element.

Here's two examples of it fouling for flare (LoCa is a different matter, as has been discussed regarding how it exhibits on the E-M5), where I first encountered it.

In the first, with a crosswalk sign just out of frame.

In the 2nd you can see the lamp post that has the lamp itself out of the frame. F14 is a bit much, but it was chosen for the shutter's sake - a more common wider aperture would show them to be larger, more significant.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow