EOS M fast focus

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
10s
10s
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Re: EOS M fast focus
In reply to Jorrit, Nov 20, 2012

I never focus from infinity... therefore I would also be interested in understanding better what the actual behaviour of the EOS-M is with touch focus combined with continuous AF; continuous AF helps to get shots quickly, it shaves off time while the composition is being made. In theory the shot can be quickly taken if the camera has good enough focus on the subject already.

On the 650D, pressing the shutter button in live view causes the camera to refocus, even if the image is already in focus during continuous AF. It is nice to know the camera does its utmost to get accurate focus but is a bit too much too my taste. It kind of makes sense on the 650D - if you want ultrafast focus you can use the viewfinder. But I would like to have a setting for this alongside the continuous AF mode.

On a mirrorless however, relying on continuous AF would make sense in a kind of sports/kids/animal mode since you have no ultrafast viewfinder... Since I have no EOS-M around to test this, does the EOS-M skip this refocussing when using touch shutter mode? If so that would explain why touch is faster than using the shutter button... If not, I hope Canon guys reading this take notice

Regards,

10s

10s's gear list:10s's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow