Prime lens.

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 2,744Gear list
Like?
Re: L zooms being a benchmark?
In reply to Sosua, Nov 20, 2012

Sosua wrote:

If Joe Bloggs can't tell the difference between a shot with their kit zoom at 25mm and something like the Pana-Leica 25 1.4, they probably don't need to spend the money on one.

They may want to buy one for the 1.4-4 aperture range, which the kit zoom does not have, even if they could not tell the difference between the two lenses when they are both stopped down to shared apertures.

Go to slrgear and look up the tests for the 25/1.4 and the Panasonic 14-42. Set the latter to 25 and observe what happens with both from about f5.6 onwards, esp. f8, f11 and (gasp) f16. I have done my own informal comparisons and came to the habit of changing to the zoom if I want to use f5.6 or smaller apertures, for the zoom's IS system.

Generally the prime advantage for M43 as it reclaims the dreaded 'equivalence' through fast aperture.

Exactly. Plus before the advent of the pancake zoom, the pancake primes allowed pocketability for the viewfinder-less bodies.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow