Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
cdubman
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?
Re: Shoulder strap ruins D-800
In reply to 8TAV, Nov 20, 2012

lop ousted this a loto time ago and continue to be very happy and no issues...not sure if links still work.

-- hide signature --

I struggled with the same thing (except worrying about the mug me situation) since I bought my D7000.

Here's my solution:

This suits my needs quite well. Keeps the tripod mount free and lets me place the camera flat on a surface. Also allows me to lock the camera in place with the bumpers and the Brad attachment so camera doesn't bonk my son in the head when I pick him up (learned that one the hard way). I originally used the standard BR tripod mount connector and BR Manfrotto plate attachment. Both function fine. I find the BosTail to be more balanced and bounce less, and the camera feels connected much more securely. I've read about issues using the tripod screw connector to carry via a sling and was always paranoid about it stripping out. I think I'd prefer the BosStrap too b/c it stores easily but no bumpers/arm strap. I'm not connected with the Bos stuff in anyway, but I'm really really impressed with the simple little solution. I looked forever for something like this and finally found it. Amazing how something $6.95 can make me so happy!

I also use one of these DIY Camera Wrist Straps. http://janchristianphoto.com/blog/2011/08/diy-camera-wrist-strap-paracord

I wanted a strap I could easily attach when not using the sling. I keep this attached to the BosTail now all the time and it never gets in the way. It's perfect if I'm using the BR and have to hand my camera to wife or someone else to take a picture. Don't have to take off the sling and instant strap there. Works amazingly well and like 75 cents if you go buy some cord at your local REI. You can also attach it to the right lug of the camera. If you do and have a battery grip, you'll need to make it a little longer. Tying a lanyard knot is not that hard if you follow this instead: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Tie-the-Lanyard-Knot/

Your mileage may vary. Let me know what you think.

8TAV wrote:

After taking my beautiful D 800 to four or five events suspended by a shoulder strap I noted that the bottom of the camera at the tripod thread had bent the base plate of the camera down. Never had a large lens on the camera only small primes.Sent it to Melville and they claimed it was "impact" damage and billed me$280.00. A month went by and finally after I called several times they reported that it could not be fixed.

Now what do I do?

8TAV

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow