National Geographic Photo Style

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
harry cannoli
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,293Gear list
Like?
(At least) two ways to get there..
In reply to Glenn Runyan, Nov 20, 2012

You can get there at least two ways, during post processing and/or during shooting.

The pic below was a bit blah. Here's what I did to increase color without increasing noise.

1. Open image in PhotoShop, or in any editor that supports layers
  2. Once image is open, duplicate the layer
  3. On duplicated layer, increase saturation to, say, 80%
  4. On duplicated layer, guassian blur, 40px (or so)
  5. Switch duplicate layer blend mode to "Color"
  6. Set opacity of duplicate layer to 40%, go from there
  7. That's it.
ice nine photography

Rgds,
Rich

Hope some of this helps.

Can these techniques be used with the RX100? Absolutely. There are a few decent filter thread adapters out there. Likewise, Graduated (square) filters can also be used, what you'll need for the RX100 are Cokin "A" filters. "P" size filters are a bit overkill for the RX100, but may be the way to go if you have a second camera that uses larger lenses. (The neutral density filters I use are square filters).

PS, curves is the only way to go to make adjustments to contrast. The "Contrast" slider is strictly for amateurs

The second way (and best way) to get deeply saturated color is to use a time-tested technique, filters. The shot below was taken with a polarizer and a 2 stop, graduated, soft edge, neutral density filter. As ISO is increased, dynamic range is decreased, so I shot this at minimum ISO and the appropriate aperture. I ended up with a slow-ish shutter speed, the camera was tripod mounted and a cable release was used. Just like with Kodachrome or Velvia, I underexposed 1/2 stop. Very little processing was done with this, the filters did all the heavy lifting. There is lots of room here for saturation and curve adjustments, should you desire more or less saturation.

Here's the result of this technique. There was just a hint of color in the sky, I wanted more.
-- hide signature --

"For 3.2 seconds, I saw perfection"

harry cannoli's gear list:harry cannoli's gear list
Olympus C-700 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 350D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow