PDAF issue on D800E

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
fabgo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294
Like?
Re: PDAF issue on D800E
In reply to fPrime, Nov 20, 2012

I 2nd fprime's comments. I also tried three D800's and they all had the left AF issue. Statistically the incident of this problem should be very high. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't affect every single D800 produced before the recent fix.

I also have the same experience regarding AF precision - and not just at f/1.4. Even at f/5.6 I detect significant variance between shots. Factors affecting precision include light & contrast levels, type of subject, etc. The more trouble the AF system has to lock focus, the lower the precision in my experience.

One further note on the left AF issue - I do believe Nikon now has a fix for this problem. I did some more testing with my camera after it was repaired by Nikon, and once I used fine-tune to adjust each lens, AF performance improved significantly. I still need to do some more testing and tuning - as well all know it's a time-consuming process - but so far my results are promising. The AF points outside the center are not 100%, but I can get them to 95% or so, which is good enough for me. If you buy a recent model D800 which has the fix from the factory, your results might be even better.

-- hide signature --

Fabian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow