Software suggestions for Newbee

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,555Gear list
Like?
Re: Software suggestions for Newbee
In reply to Brian, Nov 20, 2012

Brian wrote:

I am considering ordering some software for the first time, my photos are basically just family; I would like something simple not too sophisticated. My only experience is using IrFanView. I have heard Lightroom thrown around, are there others I should consider and if Lightroom, are there different levels for different prices?

-- hide signature --

Brian Miller
Nikon D3100 (sold and looking to replace) and Canon S100
(Used to own: Nikon D40 and Canon S30)

You don't say but my guess is that you are shooting JPGs only. My guess is also that your biggest problems are that you need to correct exposures and make some color adjustments. In that case you don't need to buy any software.

Get a copy of the free FastStone image viewer and editor. It will allow you to make exposure changes, color corrections, crop, and several other things.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

If you want to get more serious at photography then you will want to change to shooting in the RAW image format and you will want more advanced software. In that case you should look at the Adobe Elements and Bridge package as a good starting place. Beyond that you get into Lightroom and Photoshop.

-- hide signature --

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow