Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,939Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50 - half moon
In reply to VisionLight, Nov 20, 2012

VisionLight wrote:

Martin87 wrote:

Amazing picture. SX50 can take pictures from the moon in much higher detail than my old 12x zoom Canon S3 IS. Amazing how much the Digital cameras have improved the in the last 6 years. The one thing I dislike in the SX50 is the very small aperture 6.3. 50x zoom and 6.3 aperture is a perfect mix for blurry pictures

Martin,

Have to admit, f6.3 is a bit slow. But when handheld, the IS on this camera is a great help at the long end, as is the newly designed grip. And all that being said, good telephoto technique should be practiced and is a must for the sharpest images (with any camera at any maximum f-stop). Or one could use a tripod. Although that flys a little in the face of it being a small P&S, it is afterall a 1200mm optical lens and 2400mm with the 2.0TC.

One other note. For a brighter lens, just dial the SX50 down to about 975mm to 1000mm were the f-stop is 5.6, slightly brighter than the SX40's f5.8 at its optical max of 840mm.

Vision

Thanks Martin, Vision.

The fact that 1200mm is on offer doesnt mean you must use it every time.  But when in decent lighting conditions, its very useable.  Or in lesser lighting, use a tripod or stable surface.  It doesnt bother me that much.  One should be amazed rather than lamented

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow