NEX-6 photoshoot w/ Zeiss 24/1.8, SEL 50/1.8 and 16-50 kit lens (pics)

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
José B
Forum ProPosts: 16,884Gear list
Like?
Great feeling about the ZA 24/1.8 ala my 5DMKII and 35/1.4 L (pics)
In reply to DuncanDovovan, Nov 20, 2012

DuncanDovovan wrote:

Beautiful pics. Pretty model and good location for her. She fits right in. =;-)

Looking at the first picture, wouldn't it be better to have a 50mm or 85mm at f/1.8 to even more blur the background? Don't know the location of course, not sure if you have the room to do that.

But that is what turns me off when considering to use wide lenses for portraits. You have to press the glass onto your model's nose to get really blurry backgrounds. =;-)

Nothing against the pictures though. They are still nice, but in some shots I wonder how a 50 or 85mm would have looked at f/1.8...

-- hide signature --

I'm a peaceful person looking for clarity and harmony and willing to help. If you believe my post had the intention to harm you in some way, you are probably wrong. =;-) Please verify first before assuming something bad happened to you. I can be a bit too brief at times. =;-)

Thanks Duncan for the kind words.

Regarding the first picture, when I saw the scene I knew immediately it was a job for the Zeiss as I want the background somewhat readable. The 50/1.8 would have blurred the background even more but it was not the look I am looking for. Having said that, there is no wrong answer here basically to each their own. In the past I am guilty of rendering the background too much of a blur that there is no story.

I think I can make the full switch from my Canon DSLR to the NEX and thus shooting with an 85/1.2 or 135/2 will defeat the purpose. Plus I want all auto focus so I am sticking to my native lenses with the NEX. I'm getting to be addicted to the Zeiss and I will definitely save up for one if there is a Zeiss 55 or 65 fixed lens. 85 is even better but it might be too big and super duper expensive.

In the meantime, I'm feeling the Zeiss 24 with the NEX-6 and hopefully in the future will make me forget about my 5DMKII and 35/1.4 L combo. A couple of fave pics from it.

5DMKII and 35/1.4 L

5DMKII and 35/1.4 L

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow