LED continuous lighting product recommendations for indoor macro shots...

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Darrell Spreen
Forum ProPosts: 10,066
Like?
Re: LED continuous lighting product recommendations for indoor macro shots...
In reply to HEA-45, Nov 20, 2012

There are a great many variables that will affect how well the LED light source works for your applications, but I think it should be good for macros in general.  You may find you want to use it with a diffuser as LED sources can create unpleasant shadows and glints otherwise.

I use a smaller diffused LED source on occasions (I'm guessing about 1/3 the size and output of yours) and at lamp-to-subject distances of about 30cm, I shot at 1/30sec, f/5.6 and ISO 400.  I also use a high CRI spiral fluorescent lamp (rated at 300W output) in a reflector with a lightsock.  At distances of about 60cm, I have some shots at 1/60sec, f/4, at both ISO 100 and 200.

If those working distances, ISOs, and settings seem acceptable to you, I think you'll be fine.  If you decide against diffusion screens in front of the light, you may find you can operate with working distances 2 or 3 times those which I described.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow