Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,222Gear list
Like?
A very rare flower captured with the A99
Nov 19, 2012

Today I stood almost for an hour in a queue to see a flower. This was for sure no ordinary flower, it was the Titan Arum (Amorphophallus titanum) at the botanic garden, University of Basel. According to Wikipedia this is the flowering plant with the largest unbranched inflorescence in the world. It takes years for the flower to grow, and the flower opens for a day or two. Then it is all over, and you have to wait for some years for the next flower show! The plant can be almost 3 meter high and weight as much as a grown up person.

The light was terrible. A harsh spot light in a very dark environment lit the flower. It almost felt like being part of a cult rite, with the huge glowing erotic flower surrounded by darkness and a lot of worshipers!

The A99 with the 24 mm Zeiss 24 mm f:2 did a teriffic job. ISO was set to 1600, but I had to do a lot of shadow brightening, so the shadow areas are closer to ISO 6400 or 12800 than the camera setting would indicate.

I also have to thank ChrisSwiss that remined med about this very rare occation! If it was not for him, I would never have experienced this! So thanks a lot!

The queue was like a labyrinth among artificial lit tropical plants in the night.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow