does bumping my iso during video recording really gives me better light.

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Questions thread
Buzz Lightyear
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: does bumping my iso during video recording really gives me better light.
In reply to Eyeman7, Nov 19, 2012

Eyeman7 wrote:

How so nfpotter?

Perhaps I'm missing something - if I am I apologise for giving wrong info but if I wish to brighten the image I'm recording - those three things will surely do it?

What we have here is a failure to communicate - with semantics, that is.  The point I think some people are trying to convey is that the amount of ambient light in the environment does not change (unless, for example, the sun comes out from behind a dark cloud).  Settings in the camera can, however, effect how much of that available light is brought onto the sensor.  Think of the example where you have the shades drawn in a room during the day.  The interior is dark, and the light in the room can be adjusted by opening the shade.  The available light (outside) never changes, but the brightness of the room can change by letting more of it in.  However, if you've opened the shades to a point where so all the available light is brought in -- opening them further does not result in more light -- and in the OP's case here, perhaps all the available light has been brought into the sensor, so increasing the ISO only increase the noise but has no effect on the brightness of the picture.

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow