studio lighting setup using FL50rs

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
jfinite
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,092Gear list
Like?
Re: studio lighting setup using FL50rs
In reply to historianx, Nov 19, 2012

I'm a location photographer, and I use umbrellas 95% of the time outdoors. They're lightweight, easy to setup and cheap. They will also blow over in even light winds, so make sure to weigh down the stand; I like 10lb. ankle weights, they stabilize the stand, and you get a leg workout walking to sites.

Some people like softboxes, and I do have and like the Apollo 28" square. However, it's a pain to open the thing up and change settings on the flash, then close the sb back up again while you're working to get your light right. With umbrellas, it's easy as pie to get to the back of the flash. Also, umbrellas tend to spill light everywhere, whereas sbs are more controlled light, but since I'm on location, I usually like a little spill onto the ground/nearby items, as it makes the environment more real. With the sb, you have a concentrated spot of light on the subject, and the surrounding env is unlit. This looks too unnatural to me, but YMMV. If I were shooting mostly in a studio, I'd probably use the sb more. I've been using shoot-thrus for the last four years, and they work well for me.

jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow