Canon 60D: Good lenses for photojournalism, portrait & all walk around uses within a budget

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Questions thread
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,689Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 60D: Good lenses for photojournalism, portrait & all walk around uses within a budget
In reply to JewsLikeFunk, Nov 19, 2012

JewsLikeFunk wrote:

Hello there. First of all, first post here at DP Review after following this website for over a year.

I have a Canon 60D which I bought a year ago but I've barely used it, my shutter count is around 1500 or maybe less. The only lens I have along with it is the 18-55mm kit lens which I got along with the camera.
Ofcourse a year has gone by & I'm doing a media course now, I have photojournalism coming up soon this semester & I also thought its time for new lenses since I'm also financially doing well for myself after saving up some money with a whole lot of free time so hence I could do a lot more in photography, overall after research I've been looking at the Canon 70-200mm f.4 L IS lens to accompany along my course and day to day use after my course is finished, since the 60D is a APS-C sensor I think I don't get the 70-200mm's exact focal length as on the full frame & converting to find the exact is very confusing to me.
Also I was looking at some videos online and I found this video which kind of sorted my confusion out regarding lenses I should buy, should I follow this guy's advice? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uzjK8dSdBc8#!

Also regarding photojournalism, is a wide angle lens really required? A friend of mine advised me to stick to the kit lens since it works as a wide angle & some of my other bought the Tamron 17-50 f.2.8 lens and well, its just 1mm difference to the kit, I've heard Tamron has bad quality so I was thinking about the same focal length offered by either Sigma or Tokina, should I go for this wide angle or is there a better one out there for my APS-C body.
I've also decided on a prime lens, the 50mm 1.4. I'm not great at focusing so that's why I chose this instead of the 1.8. Again, on the advise of my friend, after converting, the focal length of the 50mm is 80mm on my APS-C body.
Big time confused here, hope somebody could help me out.

Note: These are all lenses recommended by my friends other than the 70-200m f.4 L IS being my choice.

I'd go for the 70-200 (the F4 is a bargain) and 15-85 as a 2nd choice (I got both) and maybe a serious flash.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtODT5jJMHo&list=SP8B3809AAAB02D0EB&index=20&feature=plpp_video

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow