New camera for 10-year old?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Roelandt
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Re: New camera for 10-year old?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Nov 19, 2012

All those different opinions aren't making my lige any easier..?

And to make matters a bit worse: we spent last wekeend in Paris touring the usual tourist traps and paying Mickey Mouse a visit. When up on the first deck of the Eiffel tower the eldest grabbed my 450D and started shooting. Nothing decent this time due to foggy weather, but she found the weight bearable. She won't lug one around for a whole day though.... Even when I left the grip at home.

Disneyland was marred by daylong drizzle so the camera's stayed in the car and we made do with a cheapo P&S and phonecamera's.

The funny thing was, though, while waiting for the closing spectacle (brilliant this time!) I was toying with my Samsung Galaxy S2 to try and get a shot of the castle all lit up. She practically snatched the thing from my hands and 'dug in': it took her about 40 shots, but finally she got the hang of stabelising it on a lamppost and got some decent pics. Nothing to brag about, but she showed perseverance..

to her new tool: I've been looking at some used items, since it wouldn't 'hurt' so much if she accidentally broke that one.

Currently my shortlist is something like this:

• Oly XZ-1 (white, brand new): € 170
  • Oly E-PL2, 14-42 II: € 250 - 300, refurbs a bit less
  • Pana G1: € 200
  • Pana G2 : € 300
  • Pana GF2: € 200

The XZ-1 seems a steal but is 'only' a P&S. The Pana's seem to be a bit less pocketable and the reviews find the jpeg-output a bit behind Olympus. Articulating LCD's are a bonus though.

I'm slowly gravitating towards the E-PL2, mainly because of IBIS. I know it's no magical helper, but it won't hurt her.

So the story continues....

"Please tune in next time, when you'll hear doctor Bob say: ......."

Roelandt's gear list:Roelandt's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow