Rand 47
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
Re: DP2M Image
In reply to Rand 47, Nov 19, 2012

Rand 47 wrote:

Landor Dees wrote:

Hi there,

Really like the image, did you use a Polarizing filter?

Just wondering on scenes like this, if a Polarising filter was used does that give you a different/better original to work with or if you are shooting RAW, can you add a similar effect to mimic a Polarizing filter. So the question is does a Polarizing filter add something that a digital filter cannot?

Many thanks

Landor

Landor,

No, I didn't use polarizer. One of the things I often do in Lightroom is to VERY SLIGHLY increase the saturation of the blue and then slighly reduce the liminosity of that same blue. When you add to that the ability in LR4 to recover significant highlight detail in areas like clouds, it ends up almost looking like a polarizer was used.

To answer your direct question, there are things that a polarizer can do that cannot be reproduced in digital post processing. The one thing that keeps a polarizer in my bag is the ability to eliminate the reflection on water or glass that proper orientation of a polarizer will handle nicely. But for things like increased saturation in blue skies, I have better and more selective control in LR. I also often use a polarizer in combination with an ND filter, just to add more density than my ND alone can provide.

Rand

Landor,

Just to be more complete in my answer, I use the targeted adjusment tool in LR for the saturation and luminosity changes, in the HSL panel.  I use an adjustment brush for increased highlight detail in clouds, sometimes in combination with an extremely small ( -.02 ) exposure adjustment.

Rand

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow