Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gordon W
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,420Gear list
Like?
Re: Variable ND Filter
In reply to freediverx, Nov 19, 2012

freediverx wrote:

Gordon W wrote:

...not long ago I bought a Variable ND Filter (a.k.a. a Fader Filter). These are continuously variable from 2 to 8 stops, so I now only have to carry one ND filter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?sts=ma&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&N=0&srtclk=sort&Ntt=Variable+ND+Filter

I wasn't even aware of variable ND filters. As expected, they work by combining two polarizers. While these can come in handy, they're not without drawbacks, which include significant and uneven vignetting which seems like a pain to correct in post processing.

This effect can also affect the camera's metering accuracy.

http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/hardware/an-in-depth-comparison-of-two-variable-neutral-density-filters/

Thanks for that link and its info. It looks to be true, since I just tried the flat white wall test and got the same results they showed. The flat field started to get wonky at about 5 to 6 stops. Good thing to be aware of. I've also run into weird metering when the fader makes things in the viewfinder almost too dark to see, but that didn't particularly surprise me.

Anyway, real world shooting isn't often a flat wall, so I'm not expecting this characteristic of the fader to be a big problem as long as I use it within its limitations. These are a few shots I took using it...

It was mainly for daylight shooting of waterfalls that I got it.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Gordon
_
Photography since 1950 • Digital since 1999
My online photo galleries

Gordon W's gear list:Gordon W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS 400D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow