Will the SMC DA* 50-135 mm f2.8 ED IF SDM suffice as an only lens?

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Questions thread
BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,651Gear list
Like?
Re: Will the SMC DA* 50-135 mm f2.8 ED IF SDM suffice as an only lens?
In reply to FabriceS, Nov 19, 2012

FabriceS wrote:

I am getting ready to upgrade to a DSLR from a Fuji Finepix S9100--scornfully described by the guy in the camera shop as "just a fancy point and shoot."

You can tell him that "Point and Shoot" is a behavior not a camera.

I have a bunch of Fuji's and I like all of them and still use them.   Fuji has always done a good job of pushing photographer friendly features into their F and S series.   But given that, you'll love the K-5.   Its a comparatively small camera compared to others in its class, and smaller even than my Fuji S100fs.

Based on the reviews I've read, I'm leaning toward buying a Pentax K-5 body and pairing it with an SMC DA* 50-135 mm f2.8 ED IF SDM zoom lens.

A lot depends on your typical subjects.   For me, I find that most of my stuff is done in that 18-50 range, or I need a ridiculously long 600mm tele, with little inbetween.   50mm on the K-5 is ~75mm on APS-C, so that's pretty long for indoor use.   If you were getting a K-5 kit with the 18-55 wr, that might give you wide when you need it.    Its a lens I've wanted, so sure, I vote "yes!" as this is a democracy, apparently. 

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow