Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
S1m0n
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
Re: PDAF issue on D800E
In reply to fPrime, Nov 19, 2012

fPrime wrote:

Simon,

Beyond the left AF defect, however, I was also not impressed with the focus precision of the D800 even with central AF points at f/1.4. It often inexplicably missed focus in a series of shots even when aimed at the same point. Soon others including Diglloyd and Ming Thein reported that D800 AF precision at f/1.4 is poor. Ming has underlined the extra importance of focusing the D800 at f/1.4 using AF-C with AF constantly activated via AF-ON instead of AF-S in order to maximize the chances of the camera finding focus wide open.

Fprime

An interesting post.

I see now there are many with this PDAF issue. I understand not everyone has had this problem, which again underlines a possible tolerance issue. If Nikon can tighten up the tolerance of the PD focus system on the D800 it would be a remarkable tool in every respect (for all, not just the luck one's).

I too would like to use my lenses wide open, maybe not all the time. The D800 is a tool that requires a good skill level to get the best results and as others have already mentioned, handheld may require at least 2.5 times the focal length of the lens in shutter speed. In this case wide apertures on lenses without VR are a must in low light conditions. A tripod is not always an option, and flash not always allowed.

Thanks Fprime

Simon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow