Po-boy festival with my Tamron 18-270. Make me better...

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
kjbkix
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: Po-boy festival with my Tamron 18-270. Make me better...
In reply to ammac12, Nov 19, 2012

ammac12 wrote:

Thanks. And yes, plenty of people were shooting with their iPhones. I am a hobbyist, so I'm not looking to publish any photos. I do want to better compose my shots and I really appreciate your perspective. I have absolutely ZERO training in photography, and it shows!

I understand the "tell a story" perspective and will certainly be more cognizant in the future. On a different note, what lense and setting would have been best for this type of shot? Thanks again for the honest feedback.

There's nothing specifically wrong with using that lens in this situation - you probably went for the food (which looks incredibly delicious by the way!) and brought your camera along hoping to get some shots. Nothing wrong with that by any means. Still, just some basic compositional improvements would help, as would even making them a bit more "posed" and having the workers look at you.

You're not only reading dpreview, but also posting and asking for critiques. To me, that sounds like you at least have the desire to improve your photography and become more serious. My advice then is to look at images on flickr, 1x, etc. and critique them yourself. Ask what makes an image successful, and what you would have done differently to those which fall short. Find books or articles on basic composition (rule of thirds, repeating objects, golden ratio, etc) Then go out, and shoot as much as you can, with all that in mind.

kjbkix's gear list:kjbkix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow