Lions and tigers and bears! (oh my - pics)

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Karaya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,966Gear list
Like?
Lions and tigers and bears! (oh my - pics)
Nov 19, 2012

I went to the Como Park Zoo yesterday with my wife. It was a nice day for it and I really had an itch to take some photos. A fellow Oly shooter (hey Father Paul!) had told me he gets great results shooting his E-5 and DZ300mm handheld. I was dubious, I am used to using my heavy gitzo tripod and gimbal head with this heavy lens. Didn't really want to lug a tripod around a crowded zoo - so I gave it a shot handholding the beast. It was a challenge, but I found it doable - I used handrails and fences and such for extra support. I was shooting at ISO200, f 3.2 aperture priority which gave me a shutter speed ~1/250.

I got mostly keepers with about 40% tack sharp, 40% good and ~20% duds. Of corse most of the duds were shot thru wire fencing - so can't really blame anyone for that! Here are a few of the better shots, judge for yourselves. While I spend enough time on these forums to know that I could have gotten much better results with a Nikon D800 and a coke bottle I am still impressed with what the E-5 and SHG glass can do!

A handsome Male Lion

A Male Amur Tiger.

The business end of a Grizzly Bear

Best to all,

Mark

www.pbase/karaya.com

Karaya's gear list:Karaya's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +2 more
Nikon D800 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow