Action shots for 4/3 camera

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ozonation
Contributing MemberPosts: 505
Like?
Action shots for 4/3 camera - Using an Olympus OM-D EM-5
In reply to DonParrot, Nov 19, 2012

Adding onto what the OP was asking about... I'm not in a dissimilar situation. I shoot sports, but the majority of my shooting is indoor, often with only moderate - and sometimes poor - lighting. I normally use a Nikon D3s with a 70 to 200 mm f2.8 zoom, and often push my camera up to ISO 5000 to 6400 (and even 8000 if necessary) with the shutter between 1/400 to 1/500. A bit of post processing in Lightroom usually yields pretty good results.

My situation is that I need to find a good back up camera for my aging D300, which frankly no longer measures up to my D3s. I obviously have a lot invested in Nikon glass and accessories, but given what I've read, there is no obvious replacement yet: the D800 and D600, while very good, are not really meant as sports/photojournalistic cameras.

However, some time ago, I decide to invest in the m4/3 as a lighter, all around travel alternative. I have the Panasonic GH2 (14-140 and 20 f1.7), and my wife has an Olympus PEN-2 (a couple of lens), and a basic Olympus flash. Like most others, I'm not interested in hauling a behemoth wherever I go.

What I'd like to know is if the Olympus OM-D can serve as a capable sports camera if necessary. I'm not as concerned about outdoor sports as I feel confident enough skill wise to shoot sports in good lighting, but I'm concerned about indoor venues.

I've tried my GH2 with sports, but I've found it less than satisfactory - would the Olympus be superior to the GH2? From what I've read, it should be, but I'm not sure by how much. I'm not even entirely sure what lens I would might need if the Olympus is capable.

I guess the bottom line is I'd like a very good all-around, light weight camera AND one that if needed, can fill in as an indoor sports/action shooter.

Here's a sample of what I typically try to shoot sports-wise.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow