ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,174Gear list
Like?
A strong recommendation for a 3rd Party Battery for SX-40, SX-50, G1X, G15 cams
Nov 19, 2012

Hi gang:

Well, we've all seen the special deals on a multitude of various brand 3rd party batteries - and let's face it, a good 95% of them are cheaply constructed and last nowhere near as long as the OEM types provided with the cameras that we've purchased.  But like all humans, we're attracted to very low prices - all hoping that somehow our expectations will be rewarded.

Well, 5 or so years ago, I was given a tip by a local professional about a 3rd Party battery maker called "Wasabi" that has really changed my attitude about these types of batteries - and all for the positive.

The Wasabi company manufactures premium 3rd party types (for just about most cameras) - specifically with Japanese Premium Cells, and their batteries always include a substantially higher mAH rating - which means that typically, they last anywhere from 125 - 200% longer than the OEM types that came with your camera.

I've been purchasing these Wasabi batteries (for most of my cameras) over the years and I've NOT been disappointed - in fact, it has just been the opposite.  Some of the Wasabi batteries (for example, in my Olympus 4/3 cameras) have lasted over 200% longer than the OEM BLM-1 types that came with the cameras.  While the others (for other brands - to include Canon), have lasted far longer than the respective OEM types - allowing for substantially more shots.

For those of you who have the SX-50, SX-40, G-15, and G1X models, the Wasabi NB-10L equivalents are awesome.  They have a rating of 1300 mAH (as opposed to the 900-950 rating in the Canon NB-10L) - and are charged by any chargers that handle this type of battery.

Now here's the biggest thing (and don't let this throw you off) - The Wasabi Batteries are typically priced anywhere from 60 - 80% less than the OEM types.  In the case of the Wasabi NB-10L's, they are only $12.99 each.

Now again - I've been purchasing Wasabi batteries over the past 5 - 6 years and have "never" been disappointed.  They have, in fact, put my trust back in 3rd party models.  I just recently purchased several NB-10L's from them - specifically the Blue Nook website (Blue Nook, BTW, is an exceptionally reliable site that reacts quickly to your order and if you order 3 or more batteries, shipping is free - but make sure to type in the code given).

And of course, there are always exceptions to any rule and if you're not satisfied with them, at least you haven't expended an arm and leg in costs.  I only make recommendations for items that I think will both benefit and save you some money.

Here's the direct link to the battery.  Peruse the site for other batteries for various cameras.  In the search engine on that site, just type in the battery model number that you are looking for.  Now remember - make sure the Wasabi Model you are looking for indicates "Premium Japanese Cells," because that's the key (although the batteries are made in China, the Japanese Cells are the key).

http://www.bluenook.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-NB-10L-PowerShot/dp/B006T60PLI?field_availability=-1&field_browse=2533795011&field_keywords=Canon+batteries&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Wasabi+Power+Battery+NB-10L+PowerShot&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchKeywords=Canon+batteries&searchNodeID=2533795011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Sincerely,
Ben Herrmann
North Carolina

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +27 more
Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow