Are you worried about the D800's build quality?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,031
Like?
Re: Are you worried about the D800's build quality?
In reply to FrankG, Nov 19, 2012

FrankG wrote:

A Owens wrote:

Well it does not particularly worry me but my 800e does feel very light and plasticy to me and not a quality product at all. However I am sure the technology inside it will be obsolete long before the body is worn out. It is built to a price and an appropriate quality level and I am grateful for that.

Light and Plasticky ??? Not a quality product ??? I think you are having a laugh - are you sure you got a real one!?

Mine feels very solid (also quite heavy) and definitely a very high quality product. I expect it will last the next 10 years or so.

Frank

No, I am actually making a serious point. Try a Canon 1dsII for comparison and see what I mean. Mine feels like it will do another 2m exposures but alas the internal technologies are completely eclipsed by the D800. So I for one am grateful to Nikon to build a somewhat lower quality body around the most advanced electronics available in the 35mm domain and make it available at a highly attractive price. Uber-high quality bodies are really wasted money when obsolence of the electronics is always so close.  
Hope that makes sense.

-- hide signature --

Alistair Owens
www.alistairowensphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow