Started Nov 18, 2012 | Questions thread
D300SandV1shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,618Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D300 or ...
In reply to Gary_Scotland, Nov 19, 2012

Gary_Scotland wrote:

miatamich wrote:

I wouldn't get too hung up on equipment. Your abilities as a photographer will be much more important that whatever gear you choose. The crop of cameras and lenses made in the last few years is stellar. There have been tons of great photos made in the past several decades with equipment that doesn't hold a candle to what's made today.

I couldn't agree more. In my view a 'poor photo' is most likely to be attributed to the person holding the 'equipment' and shouldn't be blamed on the equipment itself - e.g. either the choice of camera was not the right one for the shot they were trying to get, or there is still some skill/development needs for that camera or for 'photography' in general.

I think you are quite right too about the great photos made over the past decade on cameras that so many folks would now critique as being 'worthless/useless'. I have personally not yet seen a photo from a 2012 camera that demonstrates any significant difference from one taken several years ago. It is interesting how 'marketing strategies' have started to change people's perceptions too - 'Noise reduction' has become a huge issue now, with that a lot of the current digital cameras far out reaching what any 'film' could have done in the past, yet 'we' complain if a camera starts to get noise above ISO 800.

It would seem that over the years, and perhaps caused by marketing methods, there has been a major shift withing photography - away from 'art' and towards 'science'. Those who like 'art' will look at the photo and those who like science will do the pixel peeping

Regards,

Gary

I couldn't agree even more. My introduction to digital was an entire 2004 winter of evenings spent with a Coolscan and a bulky folder of 35mm negatives - some of them half-frame from a 60s Oly Pen F, and some of those a little grainy from even using Tri X (instead of ISO 50 Pan F)! A number of memorable ones among those ancient, primitive shots.

D300SandV1shooter's gear list:D300SandV1shooter's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow