Which lenses for architecture?

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?
Re: Which lenses for architecture?
In reply to JCB123, Nov 19, 2012

JCB123 wrote:

For tilt and shift, there are a few options, but I have no experience with any of these, so you will need to research ttheme

There are no real tilt shift option as long as you need a wide angle option. There are a few tilt adapter (but that is not needed for architecture and a Nikon to MFT shift adapter made by Kipon (at least it was announced a while back, not sure whether they produced one) the main problem is that twitch the 2x crop sensor you won't be able to find a Nikon lens wide enough : the shortest non fisheye one is a 13mm which I have seen selling on eBay for more than 10'000$. Then you jump to 15mm which looses almost all interest for architecture.

A few months ago, a German photo retailer announced a shift lens; it was to be a modified Voigtländer lens, but a) it was only a 15mm and B) they apparently encountered problems with their design and have postponed their project Tto an unknown data.

Lensbaby make some tilt shift products. No idea how good they are.

As far as I know Lensbaby is nly producing tilt lenses for mft. usually their lenses are rather toy lenses (they don't have sharpness as a priority) anyway.

Arsat from the Ukraine make a tilts shift lens (20mm I think) Again no idea about the quality.

Again 20mm x2 = 40mm not wide enough for architecture.

You could buy an adapter and use Nikon or Canon tilt shift lenses (just remember the 2x crop factor - FOV won't be as wide)

useless for architecture again; plus they are so big and heavy that you'd be better inspired to use the original body with them.

LI have a few recent examples which I took with the 12mm, I'll post it when I boot my computer. I'm mainly using the 12mm; although I'm owning the 7-14mm too, I find it quite wide to use in the kind of places where I live now. Although used absolutely level and keeping sensor strictly parallel to the building, you can crop the bottom and get the same thing as a corrected perspective. If you don't expect to publish large prints, then correcting perspective in post, or cropping will do it. The best sharpest lenses are the 12mm F2 and the 7-14mm. The Olympus 9-18mm is better at the short end from what I have read and should be OK too for publication in a book, a review or a magazine.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow