Windows 8 touchscreen with programs?

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Questions thread
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,272
Like?
Re: Windows 8 touchscreen with programs?
In reply to CAcreeks, Nov 19, 2012

CAcreeks wrote:

AxelR wrote:

On Windows 8, can you use the touchscreen interface (instead of the mouse) to control traditional programs, that is, non-Metro apps?

Yes, just as on Windows 7 with a touch screen. Be prepared for a frustrating experience.

Do you mean "yes" you can use touchscreen gestures with traditional applications, or do you mean "yes" it is the same as Windows 7 and you cannot?

I never used a touchscreen with Windows 7.

Late last year I was called upon to "fix" an "All in One" Dell touch screen system.

I dont remember the model number but it is a 24 inch "Touch screen" system.

The only "stuff" that worked with the touch screen was the group of programs supplied by Dell to be available at start-up.

Other than the little group of "APPS" supplied by Dell, the touch feature was only good for moving icons around on the screen.

I could find no features in Photoshop CS5/Lightroom/Faststone/Irfanview/MS Office or any other software I tried it with that responded to a touch, pinch, stretch et al on the screen.

I think, perhaps, you need to make the software aware that the touch-screen is there (the drivers were installed, as supplied by Dell).

There may well be a way to get it to work with mainstream applications, but it was not revealed by phone calls to Dell Tech Support, or Adobe tech support.

I did no further investigation, as I just didnt have an interest in it.

I fixed the problem that they had with the computer and returned it to its owner(hard drive would shut down and not re-start after 3 to 4 hours of operation it was NOT overheating). I replaced the hard drive and there have been no further problems.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow