Vertical focus versus Horizontal focus.

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,426Gear list
Like?
Re: Vertical focus versus Horizontal focus.
In reply to Anders W, Nov 19, 2012

Anders W wrote:

The phenomenon is already well-known. See this thread for example:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3254669

Also, see page 98 of the E-M5 manual (English version). One of the situations it points to, where the AF system might fail to find focus, is "subject containing no vertical lines".

Thanks for pointing that out, Anders, I didn't realise it was in the manual!

While it is important to be aware of this restriction, I have yet to encounter a situation where it causes any major problem. If you know about it, all you have to do is temporarily switch the camera to another orientation, AF in that orientation, and switch back again.

Yes, I frequently focus at 45 deg. to 'get the best of both worlds'!

While MFT cameras as implemented at this point are hardly ideal for tracking moving subjects, the difficulties they are facing in that regard are not to any significant extent due to the problem you spell out here. There is certainly enough vertical contrast in a BIF-type subject for the system to cope with it.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow