good camera for still & video for video podcasts and possible broadcast

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Buzz Lightyear
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: good camera for still & video for video podcasts and possible broadcast
In reply to frostireland, Nov 19, 2012

In my opinion, most DSLRs (except maybe a pro-level unit costing $4K+) are not the best video platforms.  I've used a Canon EOS 60D and currently own a Nikon D5100.  Video output is OK, but to be perfectly honest . . . a Sony or Panasonic superzoom camera has better video output, and they cost well within your budget.  The AVCHD progressive format (60 fps) developed by Sony and Pansonic is the best high-def video you can produce -- short of an expensive broadcast quality camcorder.  You just need to make sure that your devices and editing suite can handle the AVCHD format.  I currently own a Panasonic FZ200 -- and the video output (especially the high speed/slow motion feature) is awesome.  Don't be deterred by this small sensor camera - the image quality for still photos is exceptional also -- if you understand and work within it's limitations.  It will do everything you want.  You can even shoot RAW and plug in an external stereo mic for high quality sounding video.

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow