Really impressed with Canon's 85mm 1.2L... (3 images)

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
bellevilleguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089
Like?
Another shot opened up to f5...
In reply to billythek, Nov 19, 2012

billythek wrote:

BAK wrote:

Is the fuzzy dog picture good or bad, in your books, Bill?

BAK

It's a common problem that I run into all the time with dogs. I have dogs, and have experienced this problem first hand.

In my book, it would be better to get the whole dog face in focus, while having the background blurred out. But dogs aren't built that way. There is a reason people post pictures of cats when they brag about their new lenses.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Dog's can be very tough because of their long snouts that is for sure...  Using a very narrow DOF and apertures below f4 one has to be careful where and how the focus will affect the image.  I got lucky with the other shot at f1.2 that the focus actually brought both eyes sharp enough for a decent image..

The shot below is opened to f5 which sharpens the shot up pretty good, and takes care of the "out of focus" snouts that dogs are famous for..  Using this lens, I can't see ever having to go above f6.3 for my purposes anyways...  I really do like the creative options this lens provides at f1.2...

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow