On my second D600: Broken diopter adjustment

Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
DennisS
Contributing MemberPosts: 876
Like?
Re: On my second D600: Broken diopter adjustment
In reply to kevm14, Nov 19, 2012

Ok, same problem here. I've been deciding which camera I want and in the past 30 days have bought the D3200, D5100, D7000 and now the D600 (x2). On all of them except the D600 the diopter worked fine and I got a nice clear image thru the viewfinder.

Picked up a D600 today, and moving the little wheel did nothing and nothing I could do could get me anywhere close to being able to read the viewfinder information or see a non-blurry scene (and I mean really blurry) even though the camera said things were in focus. Tried different lenses, kit lens, old AIS, and regular AF-D lenses. All of these lenses work fine on the other cameras. I still have the D7000 here and everything is sharp thru the viewfinder. I picked up my old F5 and of course diopter works fine there and everything looks great. The images taken with the D600 look GREAT though..so they are in focus, it's just that in the viewfinder they look totally out of focus.

Ran back to the store, swapped for another D600 and same problem. Moving the diopter dial back and forth appears to do nothing. I'm thinking these cameras are REALLY far out of whack.

To be clear, this is two D600's in a row, so I don't think the original poster was crazy..:) I'm thinking a bunch of D600's were just assembled VERY poorly? I do have one other thought though...

I wonder if there is some sort of first time initialization of the diopter or something. The reason I wonder is that on both of these cameras, after having a charged battery the first lens I put on before powering up was my old AID 50 1.4 manual focus lens. IS it possible that somehow by using a non-autofocus lens that the camera initialized incorrectly in some way?

I guess I'll exchange one more time and update this thread if I get a winner camera..!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow